(March 5, 2021 10:46 AM) The Michigan Department of Transportation (MDOT) is closing the northbound US-127/M-50 ramp to westbound I-94 in order to safely replace the I-94 bridges over US-127/M-50. This work is part of the ongoing I-94 Corridor Project.
Traffic will be detoured via northbound US-127 to Springport Road Exit 44 back onto southbound US-127 to westbound I-94. Please follow posted detours. Motorists are advised to seek alternate routes.
This interchange is just north of Jackson Crossing as North West Avenue ends and US-127 North begins.
This ramp closure begins on Monday, March 8 at 9 AM and will remain closed until the estimated completion date of November 1, 2021.
In the 2021 phase of the I-94 project, MDOT will rebuild portions of I-94 between the Airport Road interchange and the US-127 south interchange. Other improvements include:
- Rebuilding the I-94/US-127/West Avenue interchange to be a diverging diamond interchange.
- Rebuilding the Lansing Avenue bridge over I-94 to be higher and wider than the current bridge to accommodate the widening of I-94.
- Rebuilding the I-94/Elm Avenue interchange to include roundabouts at the eastbound ramp terminal, the westbound ramp terminal, and the Rosehill Road/Elm Avenue/Seymour Road intersection.
- Installing freeway lighting on I-94 from the Airport Road interchange to east of the Elm Road interchange to improve safety for motorists and first responders. This will include lighting on most ramps within the project limits.
Local, national and international trade traffic on I-94 in Jackson has increased substantially since the freeway opened to traffic in 1960. The current corridor is, in part, functionally obsolete and is being upgraded in a 3 phase project to current design standards. This MDOT multi-year project will update this corridor, with the goal to balance safety, mobility, lifecycle costs, aesthetics, and environmental sustainability.
In Phase 1, which began in 2018 and ended last fall, MDOT made the following improvements along I-94:
- Rebuilt 1.4 miles of freeway between Lansing Avenue and Elm Road.
- Resurfaced 3.5 miles between Lansing Avenue and M-60, and 4 miles between Elm Road and Sargent Road.
- Rebuilt the I-94/Cooper Street interchange, built new roundabouts on each side of the new bridge, and rebuilt each of the ramps.
- Replaced the I-94 bridge over the Grand River.
Phase 3, scheduled for 2022 through 2024, will include:
- Rebuilding approximately 12.5 miles of freeway from the Jackson/Calhoun County line to M-60.
- Reconfiguring the Michigan Avenue interchange with the addition of roundabouts.
- Reconfiguring the Dearing Road interchange with the addition of roundabouts.
- Preventive maintenance on 10 bridges along the I-94 corridor.
Contact JTV News. Do you have information or news to share? Do you have any questions or do you need resources?